About DEC
Getting Assistance
Divisions & Programs
Grants & Loans
Maps & GIS Information
Hotline Numbers
Related Links

A-Z Topic Index
Site Map

Please take the DEC Web Survey - You might win a Vermont State Parks Pass! - click to take the survey
Chance to Win a
Free State Parks Pass!
Take the DEC Web Survey

Google Custom Search
DEC Contact Information
Contact Index


Emergency Numbers

Emergency Hazardous Materials Spill Reporting:
(weekdays 7:45am - 4:30pm, Waste Management & Prevention Division)
For After-Hours Emergencies:
1-800-641-5005 (24-hour State Police Dispatch)

Report Emergency Environmental Violations:
802-828-1254: During business hours
For After-Hours Emergencies: Outside of business hours (emergency only):
(24-hour State Police Dispatch)
     or 1-800-347-0488 (Emergency Management)
If you need to report a life threatening environmental situation, call 911.
Non-emergency violations: See our "How to Report an Environmental Violation" web page

Drinking Water Systems:
Phone: 1-800-823-6500 or 802-241-3400 (weekdays 7:45am - 4:30pm, Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division
For After-Hours Emergencies:
24-hour Pager: Dial 741-5311 then enter your number (this is a local call within Vermont for a 24-hour pager for Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division emergency response)
Or Dial 911 if an emergency

Operation Game Thief:
to report possible fish and wildlife violations: 1-800-75ALERT



Hotline & Assistance Numbers

Environmental Assistance Hotline: 1-800-974-9559
Call for help with:
- Pollution Prevention / Waste Reduction
- Mercury related topics
- Business Compliance Assistance
- Municipal Compliance Assistance

Permit Specialists- The Department of Environmental Conservation provides permit assistance through The Agency of Natural Resource's regional and satellite offices. The Permit Specialists are available in these offices to answer your questions about the permit process.




Contact Information

STAFF DIRECTORY - SEARCHABLE DIRECTORY of all Agency of Natural Resources staff
Look for Agency of Natural Resources staff, including all DEC staff, by name or division.

Or, look at the staff listings for the various DEC divisions and Programs:

Air Quality & Climate Division Staff
Commissioner's Office Staff
Compliance & Enforcement Division Staff
Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division Staff
Environmental Assistance Office Staff
Facilities Engineering Division Staff
Geological Survey Staff
Laboratory Staff
Waste Management & Prevention Division Staff
Watershed Management Division Staff


Office Hours:

All offices are open Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The DEC's main offices:

Vermont Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Commissioner's Office

1 National Life Drive, Main 2
Montpelier, Vermont 05620-3520
phone: 802-828-1556

fax: 802-828-1541
Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

1 National Life Drive - Google Map

The DEC has offices in five Agency regional offices:

Barre Regional Office
Environmental Conservation:
5 Perry St., Suite 80
Barre, VT 05641-4268
phone: 802-476-0190

Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Barre Office Google Map

Driving Directions:
From Rte. I-89, take Exit 7 to the Rte. 62 access road into downtown Barre. Turn right at the traffic light onto Rte. 302/14 South. Go through town, and bear left at the light to follow Rte. 302 uphill. The state offices will be on your right. 

Essex Regional Office
Environmental Conservation:
111 West Street
Essex Junction, Vermont 05452
Phone: 802- 879-5656

Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Essex Office Google Map

Driving Directions:
From Rte I-89 Traveling South:
Take Exit 16; turn right onto US Route 7 South. In Winooski, take Route 15 East. At first traffic light past intersection with Susie Wilson Rd take a right onto West St. Extension. Proceed for a block; then turn left onto West Street. Proceed for 0.4 miles - Essex Regional Office will be on the left.
From I-89 Travelling North: Take Exit 15; turn right onto Route 15 East. Proceed as explained above.
Alternate Route From I-89 Travelling North: Take Exit 12; turn left onto Route 2A North. Continue on Route 2A North through Tafts Corners. At second traffic light past Tafts Corners, turn left onto South Street (across from IBM entrance). At first stop sign (Y in the road), keep right (you are now on West Street). Proceed 0.6 miles - Essex Regional Office will be on the right.

Rutland Regional Office
Environmental Conservation:
450 Asa Bloomer State Office Building
88 Merchants Row
Rutland, Vermont 05701-5903
Phone: 802-786-5900
Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Rutland Office Google Map

Driving Directions: The Offices are in downtown Rutland, at the intersection of Rte. 4 (Business Rte. 4) and Merchants Row, near Center Street.

Springfield Regional Office
Environmental Conservation:
100 Mineral Street
Springfield, Vermont 05156
Phone: 802-885-8855
Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Springfield Office Google Map

Driving Directions: From Interstate 91: Take Exit 7 off Interstate 91 heading west onto Route 11. At the third set of lights* in the center of Town take a left turn onto Park Street crossing a cement bridge. At the stop sign take a left onto Mineral Street passing the Town’s parking lot. The State Complex is on the right. (*the first two sets are blinking lights)

St. Johnsbury Regional Office
Environmental Conservation:
1229 Portland Street - Suite 201
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819-2099
Phone: 802-751-0130
Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

St. Johnsbury Office Google Map

Driving Directions: From the intersection of Rte. 2 and Rte. 5 in St. Johnsbury, take Rte. 2 East. Go past Maple Grove Industries, which will be on your right. The State Office Building is on a hill, the third commercial building on your left after Maple Grove Industries. The DEC Offices are on the upper level.



VT DEC    1 National Life Drive, Main 2  Montpelier, VT  05620-3520    Tele: 802-828-1556    Fax: 802-828-1541 
Questions or comments about the DEC site? Please contact DEC Webmaster

State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved